Question about CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH

From: James Gallagher <jgallagher_at_gso.uri.edu>
Date: 28 Jul 2003 12:13:32 -0700

Hi.

I have a possibly naive question about the HTTPAUTH feature of
libcurl-7.10.6. I have an application that needs to use authentication.
Basic authentication is OK, but I'd prefer Digest. When I call:

    curl_easy_setopt(d_curl, CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH, (long)CURLAUTH_BASIC);

Authentication works just fine. However, when I use:

    (long)(CURLAUTH_BASIC|CURLAUTH_DIGEST)

or just CURLAUTH_DIGEST alone, authentication fails. I can see with
VERBOSE and a DEBUGFUNCTION that with CURLAUTH_BASIC an Authorization
header is send to the server (here's what it looks like:
Authorization: Basic amltZzp3YXNfcXVpdA==, which seems odd since I
thought with Basic authenticationthe username and password would be sent
as plain text...) but with BASIC|DIGEST or DIGEST, there's no such
header.

Can anybody tell me how to get Digest authentication working or what I'm
doing wrong? If so, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks very much,
James

PS. I was scanning the archive for this list, looking for info about
authentication, and saw a request for a cache library. My application
needs to do caching as well. I have written a C++ class that implements
a 'mostly HTTP/1.1 compliant' cache. It's free to anyone who wants it. I
claim it's thread-safe, but testing is only minimal.