Re: Initial SSL connection problem with libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 17:45:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Nicholas Parsons wrote:

> >>Are you using a proxy when you use your normal browser?
>
> Nope, no proxy is setup in my normal browser (Galean).

Ok, then you surely have stepped into something truly weird.

> >>Can you *really* do 'telnet that.host.com 443' to connect to the
> >>machine that curl doesn't?
>
> I haven't tried that yet. But there are 2 completely different web sites
> that my program is trying to communicate with and both print out the same
> error message.

Right, it indicates that there's a serious problem with name resolves.

> >>Or even just 'nslookup that.host.com' ?
>
> See above.

So this works?

> I do too. It seems to be a SuSE 8.2 problem. Everything works fine when
> run on other distro's of linux (RH 7.0, Mandrake 8.0) and even SuSE 8.1 but
> not 8.2. Very strange indeed.

I'm not aware of any glitches in glibc 2.3.26 that could be the reason for
this problem.

I can't see any other way to solve this issue than to fire up the old
trustworthy debugger and have a go single-stepping through the name resolve
functions (lib/hostip.c) to see where and why it fails.