Re: Blocking operations in curl multi?

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:00:37 -0400

> Any chance of DNS resolution being done non-blocking? This would probably
> involve curl_multi_perform() spawning a thread to do the actual DNS
> resolution, which would be OS specific, but that's not the end of the
> world...
Well there is generally an addage that a library should never create threads
or processes. That is the job of the client application. For example, say
libcurl uses threads and a signal to handle inter-thread communication, well
my program might rely on that same signal for a different purpose, there by
causing my program not to work. And yes, for me, it is the end of the world.
Why? My program is used by people who use shell accounts. LinuxThreads, for
whatever reason, assigns a pid to each thread, which means in ps ux it lists
multiple processes. Shell admins don't like this. Therefore they delete the
account thinking that the user was running multiple processes. So when
people start having their shell accounts cancelled, then yes it IS the end
of the world as far as I am concerned.

-- codemastr