Re: Support for GZIP Content-Encoding in HTTP responses

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:30:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 niclists_at_nichines.com wrote:

Hi Nic!

> I have developed a patch for version 7.10.4 which adds support for the GZIP
> Content-Encoding method in HTTP responses.

Whoa. This is next to unbelievable. Dan Fandrich posted a patch doing this,
and he beat you with ~11 hours! ;-)

> It also fixes a bug in the handling of Chunked+Encoded responses.

What bug is that?

> It's a unified diff of 358 lines. Is anyone interested in this patch? If so
> shall I post it to this list or something else?

Sure, post it to the list!

I am very interested in getting this into the sources, but since I just a few
hours ago applied and commited Dan's version of the gzip Content-Encoding
decoder, I would prefer if you two could compare each others' implementations
and see if the currently committed one can be improved by yours, or if
possibly it is easier to revert Dan's, apply yours and then get pieces of
Dan's patch over ontop of yours... Whatever you think is best. You two are
the ones with most clues in this area here.

Getting a patch with this against 7.10.4 at this point would give me a head
ache trying to apply...

Thanks a lot for your efforts!