Re: Thread failed to start - problem with perl on WIN32

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 14:38:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Rotem Benny wrote:

> We use curl::easy v1.35, with curl 7.10.3
> We have a few more questions:
> 1. is there a limit on number of threads (with a different curl handle
> for each thread) that we can run in the same time with libcurl?

No. Each thread runs totally independently of the others. libcurl imposes no
extra limits. Of course, your amount of RAM or possibly amount of file
handles etc will set a limit.

> 2. Does the getinfo(CURLINFO_TOTAL_TIME) in threads returns the actual time
> it took the thread to download or ,maybe thread switching may cause greater
> results than the actual download time.

Of course libcurl can't know what time context or thread switches took. It
times the transfers. Period.

> 3. Does the CONNECTION_TIME corresponds to the RTT?

You mean the CURLINFO_CONNECT_TIME ? Well, if the RTT is supor-long, then
it'll take longer to connect. What else can curl do?

> we have measured the CONNECTION_TIME against PING and didn't get the same
> results.

So? It performs a full TCP/IP connect (3-way), I would assume that is always
a lot slower than a mere ping response (ICMP ECHO REPLY).