Re: https/sftp library (need help)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:26:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Naved Khan wrote:

> I want to develop a cross-platform library of api for https and sftp.

I figure this is the ftp-lookalike thing on top of SSH? Isn't that basicly a
user-interface thing to perform the same operation 'scp' does?

> All the basic functionality is needed for both protocols, including the
> timeouts. Redirects should preferably be handled automatically. All
> standard HTTPS errors must be recognized.

What "standard HTTPS errors" are you referring to then?

> It should be packaged in an easy to use (preferably object-oriented) api.
> Can I use libCURL to achieve the same.

I believe it can, for HTTPS at least.

> I will look into the documentation provided on this site. Does anyone
> have a C++ wrapper library build around libCurl for https

As is shown on the curl site, curlpp is one:
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/curlpp

> and sftp?

libcurl has no sftp support, and I don't see it happening in the nearest
future either (if ever).

> Is FTPS a feasible alternative to SFTP considering the fact that FTPS is a
> somewhat "hacky" protocol with SSL for the initial control connection and
> the transfer connection is unencrypted?

"FTPS" is not a standardized protocol so your description above is only true
for certain implementations. libcurl's "FTPS" support was written against a
server that supported the kind you explain above.

There are however more serious attempts on making secure FTP using SSL that
are more secure, but libcurl does not currently support those.

Of course, any help to make libcurl support them will be appreciated.