RE: CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY

From: Themmen, Joel <Joel.Themmen_at_naviplan.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:02:16 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Themmen, Joel [mailto:Joel.Themmen_at_naviplan.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 8:32 PM
To: 'curl-library_at_lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: RE: CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Stenberg [mailto:daniel_at_haxx.se]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 4:57 PM
To: libcurl Mailing list

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Themmen, Joel wrote:

> We sent our app to someone else and they cannot seem to connect to the
URL.

Are they only using Solaris (you said "Sun box")? Are your app using a
static
libcurl or do they possibly have a different libcurl version in their end?

JCT: They are using Solaris - I will get version info tomorrow. It is the
shared object version that I deployed. They do not have libcurl on that
machine.

> From my computer (over a VPN) I can hit the target URL. From the
> clients network, they hit the url with browsers and telnet and ping - etc.
> However, when they try to use my app (and curl underneath) they get back
> the CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY error. Apparently, they have the curl
> library on the same computer as the Url that they are trying to hit. It
> should work. It has worked everywhere else for us.

They're basicly trying to get a URL from localhost then? Are you using the
multi or the easy interface in your app? Do they always get this problem
whatever URL they try to get data from?

JCT: For testing purposes - yes - but they cannot hit any other URL either
JCT: I am using easy calls - they make very - well -easy
JCT: Correct - they cannot connect to any URL from that computer

> So - Why would curl report this error when I never suggest a proxy
> should be used?

I can't explain that. grepping through the code only reveals one single
place
this code is used. Perhaps this is the result of an uninitialized return
code
variable or something.

JCT: I will try to investigate but it did seem odd that
CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY error was returned. I do init that value to 0
prior to setting it but who knows. I will need to spend a bit of time.

> What else could cause this error to surface?

Does their Solaris version differ from yours?
JCT: As above - I will check.

JCT: They are using Solaris 6 where they currently have it installed but
they will go 8 in production. I am requesting they move it to 8 tomorrow to
see if the OS is the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Joel

PS - I have been using libcurl for half a year in a number of other
situations and never a problem. curl is good.