Re: unhappiness and sorrow with 7.10.4.pre4 on UX 11.11

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:57:46 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Rick Jones wrote:

> checking for select... no
> checking deeper for select... yes!

This is kind of fun at least. My "deeper" check finds the function and this
is imho proof enough that the built-in autoconf check is not good enough.

The deeper check simply tries to link with the given function name used, but
without that include file.

> checking for strdup... no
> checking deeper for strdup... but still no

This is truly a depressing sight. I believe this is due to a mistake I made
in the extra-check.

> configure: error: Can't work without an existing select() function

This error happens because my "deeper" check doesn't set the correct variable
so even if it did find select() in the second check, that check afterwards
doesn't realize that.

I've since removed this "Can't work without" check.

> | #define RETSIGTYPE void
> | #define HAVE_SOCKET 1
> | #define $def 1
> | /* end confdefs.h. */
> | /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
>
> Extracting the test program and removing the line and compiling by hand
> shows that indeed, it does _not_ like #define $def 1. That isn't used
> anywhere in the .c file itself - is that perhaps some gcc-ism that was
> allowed to slip in there or something? That seems to be the source of the
> other "no" responses...

This is a result of badness in my "deeper"-check. I'll make a fix and post a
modified configure script soon for more testing.