Problem with timeouts?

From: Tom Reader <tom_at_proxima.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:14:50 +0000

Hello,

libcurl version:- 7.10.3 (but problem also seen on 7.10.1)
Platform:- SuSE Linux 7.2 personal

I'm using libcurl for some HTTP GETs from a C program, and I am trying to
use the CURLOPT_TIMEOUT and CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT parameters to control
the length of the timeouts.

With CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, the parameter does affect the length of the
timeout, but the values seem a little odd - the timeouts appear to be
several times longer than I'd expect. Setting CURLOPT_CONNCETTIMEOUT to 30
(which I'd expect to give a 30 second timeout) seems to give approximately
a 5 minute timeout. Setting it to 2 gives something like a 15 second
timeout, etc.

While this means that I can get my timeouts roughly as I want them, I'm
wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if there is a
solution. Also, while I haven't tested it myself yet, I'm wondering
whether the same thing applies to CURLOPT_TIMEOUT.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Tom Reader

You can use your computer to help with the fight against cancer and other
diseases - please see http://www.find-a-drug.org - (Linux beta now available)