Re: lib curl nocopy callbacks

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:53:36 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 RBramante_at_on.com wrote:

> There are times when I would like curl to send the request, parse all the
> response headers and get to the point where content is ready. Then it
> would be nice to have a way to get control of the socket directly and
> read/write on it without the overhead of the callback mechanism (and would
> obviously eliminate the buffer copy during the content transfer).

Well, I can possibly see that someone would like something like this, and
I'll promise to read the suggestion once a more detailed one is posted! ;-)

The problem is of course that libcurl offers reading (and writing) of
different kinds of streams and it takes care of the underlying en/decoding
stuff (like HTTP-chunks, SSL, kerberos etc) and handing over the "raw" socket
(in socket language it isn't raw) would then of course require the
application to get to know all those details to be able to work out the data
accordingly.

Besides that, I guess working out a good API for this is the hardest part!
:-)