Re: CURL minor Win32 fixes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:42:36 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, matthew b wrote:

> I've been using libcurl for a bit longer. Drove myself nuts for a while
> with some trivial errors in my code, but now everything seems to be stable,
> I'm happy. While debugging I ran into a few problems.

Thanks for your feedback!

> 1. On Windows, the debug dll doesn't have symbols. A simple change to the
> makefile will write out a symbol file. The lflagssl line was also missing
> in one place. Diff below.

Goodie.

> 2. When verbose mode is on, reconnects caused a crash (dereferencing a null
> pointer). This looks fixed in 7.10.3-pre3.

Right, that was a bug I introduced in 7.10.2 that I've fixed since.

> 3. On Windows, you can't pass a FILE * across DLL boundaries as noted
> elsewhere. Unfortunately, this seems to be the ony way you can change
> CURLOPT_STDERR. Is there another way? If not, a new new option passing a
> filenames (then open the file "a+") would be cool, or better make sure
> everything goes through CURLOPT_DEBUGFUNCTION (not quite everything does).

Uhm. I need to think these things over a bit first.

> 4. On Windows, main.c 7.10pre3 won't build because of some missing unix
> APIs in create_dir_hierarchy. I 'fixed' the build with some win32 code but
> haven't tested it; if you're interested let me know (and what I should do
> to test it.). I haven't tested the new build at all yet.

I'm very interested. Try the option by doing something like:

 curl [URL] -o newdir/newfile --create-dirs

The --create-dirs should then make curl attempt to create the 'newdir'.

> 5. The base64 decoding fix has some tabs in it from my stupid editor; I
> don't know if you want to fix the inconsistency on lines 64-65.

I've fixed them now.

> And one more question: if I want to use a newer version of libcurl on the
> Mac than what's already there, can I link it statically? I don't want to
> install a dynamic library in the shared directories. Setting the dylib path
> to '.' would work fine too. I don't know enough unix/mac library magic to
> make this work.

Sure, just invoke configure like this:

        ./configure --disable-shared