Re: Problem retrieving javascript

From: Andrew Francis <locust_at_familyhealth.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:25:38 +0800

> When I try to get the page from the sample program,
> however, this part of the page is not there. Why? Is
> libcurl dropping it? Is google sending a different
> page? How can I get that script to be included in the
> output from libcurl? Thanks!

Odds are Google is checking the user agent header string and returning a different page. Adding favourites is one of those things
that's done differently in each browser, IIRC.

I have a dumper script at http://ii.net/~locust/dumpenv.cgi that should reveal what agent info you're sending. IE6 on my machine
yields:

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)

Wheras a (slighly dated) version of curl on a FreeBSD machine gives me:

HTTP_USER_AGENT=curl/7.9.2 (i386--freebsd4.4) libcurl 7.9.2 (OpenSSL 0.9.6a)

If you really wanted to pretend to be IE6, you could do something like this:

curl_easy_setopt(curlHandle, CURL_USERAGENT,
    "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)");

--
Andrew Francis
Software Developer