Re: issue with a large number of threads

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:11:26 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, admir efendic wrote:

[This subject is better dealt with on the curl-library list, please take
follow-ups there]

> I am trying to simulate a large number of users to a simple application
> behind a web server (apache on linux / IIS on windows 2000). I am creating
> a pthread per user and sending requests from it. At certain point the
> thread stoppes sending requests (no errors are reported by
> curl_easy_perform()).

So what happens in the threads that don't send any requests? Do all the
threads repeatedly send away requests or do they die after having issued one
or a few ones?

> On solaris 8 (netra x-1 with 640 Mb RAM) the limit is around 400+ threads.
> I even run the same test at an intel 4-way machine with 3 Gb RAM (solaris 8
> for intel) with same result (same limit, 400+). If I send requests to a web
> server running on same machine as clients the limits raises to 900+

Are all the threads talking to the same target server? How many simultanoues
connections can that deal with?

I can't see how libcurl does anything particular to make this problem occur.
I'd say that you're facing limitations in the OSes/systems and how they deal
with threads and open file handles/sockets etc.