Re: libcurl (perl) and windows

From: lupusdacicus <lupusdacicus_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:42:11 -0800

> I have had success reports (and/or small tweaks) from a number of people.
I've
> never tried it myself.

Do you happen to have these guys' email addresses ? I mean, maybe they could
tell me more about how they did it.

> > I am using the free Active state
> > Perl, the Nmake compiler.
> I'd be pretty sure Nmake isn't a compiler. Maybe you could be more
specific?

Nmake is a compiler, it is the Microsoft/windows version of the "make"
utility that exists in Linux/unix, at least that is what I read/understood
from the web.

> > I modified Makefile.pl to look for the perl exe and it goes fine.
> >
> > When I do (n)make it says:

[.. ERROR .MESSAGE ]

> You didn't say what you thought it should say. Whats wrong with this
command?

Well, I don't know exactly what it should say, it should say something
similar with the "make" command from linux, I mean it should actually
compile the curl library.

> Why is it a problem for you?

Because it ends with an error and I cannot actually get libcurl install. I
tried to make a HTTP request, with the headers modified, but although I
tried it like 3 different ways, libww won't send the request with the
headers modified. I may be doing something wrong, or I may not.... I am
using the active state and libwww documentation when I am building the
scripts, but it seems there's no way I can trick sites like yahoo to let me
crawl them, mainly because I cannot get the HTTP headers and cookies right,
although I am doing what the documentation tells me to (3 different ways).
So I am hoping to get libcurl installed, because I have been playing with
libww for years and never achieved what I was looking for (to login in
complex sites like yahoo, fill in forms, use cookies, etc) and with curl and
daniel's help, I have done it with libcurl. I would switch to C, if I could
have the libcurl installed (c interface for windows) but I like perl and the
advance text extraction tools in perl, mainly regular expressions. I know
there are people out there that use libcurl from Visual C and I may do that
oneday, but now I wanna stick to perl.

> One thing you should be aware of (because you are using the pre-compiled
> active state perl.exe) is that the Makefile generated from Makefile.PL
will
> attempt to use the same C compiler and compile options as were used to
> compile the original perl binary. If you have a different compiler, or
need
> some different options, you'll have to provide them when you run
Makefile.PL.

> perl Makefile.PL CC=cc

I did "perl Makefile.PL CC=make"

(it says it cannot fin kernel32.lib, user32.lib,wsock32.lib, odbc32.lib,
etc; it says "probably harmless").

and I got this error message from make:

make -c -I -nologo -O1 -MD -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DE
S_FCRYPT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -
O1 -MD -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=\"1.35\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.35\" -IC:\Perl\lib\
CORE -DHAVE_INTERNAL_VARS easy.c

NMAKE: U1065: invalid option '1'
Stop.
NMAKE: fatal error U1077: 'C:\PERL\BIN\MAKE.EXE' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

> might do what you want, if, say, your compiler is called 'cc' instead of
'cl'.
> Adjust as necessary. Also, I don't know what chances you take when mixing
> compilers on your platform.

Well, as i said, I have nmake uitily, which is the windows/microsoft's
compiler. I know there are some people out there who are using libcurl with
the perl interface for windows. I am wondering how did they do it ?
Normally, on linuxs where everything goes fine you do:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

I finally maneged to get the first phase (although with warnings, because it
cannot find those LIBs), but what am I supposed to do next ?? What "make"
like utility/compiler shall I use and where should I get it from ?

Thank you,
Nick.