about FTP reliability...

From: Alejandro Escalante <alejandro_escalante_medina_at_yahoo.com.mx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:04:20 -0500 (CDT)

I'm currently developing an unattended file transfer application based on FTP (libcurl works great, by the way, thank you very much), that is mean to replace a defective, old piece of code that used to cause trouble.

My boss has concerns about the reliability of FTP because the old program used to lose files or to get them corrupted to the other side because we do have ocasional network failures and intermittences. The new software deals reasonably well on most conditions, I guess, but I don't know if it's possible that data may get corrupted without libcurl, or my software, for the case, noticing. I know that FTP, being a TCP based protocol, has provisions for these situations, but anyway I wanted to be on the safe side and ask for your experience on this.

If there's a big chance of getting corrupted data without notice, we might need to develop additional code for checksum checking and the like, and that's expensive...

So, the questions is: how reliable is FTP, on your own experience?

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro Escalante