Re: Segmentation fault in curl_easy_cleanup() [AIX]

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:45:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 cml932atom_at_sulusea.org wrote:

> Our next steps are to (a) try to build a minimal test client that
> repeatably exhibts this behaviour, and (b) test with a build of the latest
> curl stable release from source using the xlC compiler.

Sounds like a very good approach. Also, have you tried to run this on any
other platform to see if the problem is AIX-only or not?

Possibly it would help to use some kind of memory tracking tool here, since
that free() seems to be passing in a bad pointer. Building libcurl with the
memory debug stuff enabled may offer some clues.

> Each of these apps is dynamically linked with a shared library (that
> implements Go() in the traces below) which utilizes the "easy" curl
> API and is in turn statically linked with libcurl. This shared
> library, the one containing Go(), utilizes no other libraries.
>
> On each invocation curl_init() is called at the start of the
> procedure and curl_easy_cleanup() is called at the end.
>
> Somewhat repeatable-- has occured with 3 distinct applications. Not
> easily reproducible. Uncertain how the application/library enters
> this state.

So every time they call this, it fetches just one URL and then cleans up
everything again? Can you see any pattern in the downloads that were done
when the crash happens (size/speed or similar)?