Re: question on https through proxy

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:00:34 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 RBramante_at_on.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to debug a problem with an https connection through a proxy.
> Not sure if it is a curl issue or proxy issue, looking for any ideas.
> http connection through the proxy works fine and an https connection from
> ie works fine, but https from curl hangs.
>
> proxy output from ie connection says:
>
> accept connection ... scan: User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
> Windows NT 5.0) default
> scan: Host: 207.18.219.214:8443
> scan: Content-Length: 0
> scan: Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive crunch!
> scan: Pragma: no-cache
> GPC 207.18.219.214:8443
> connect to: 207.18.219.214:8443 ... OK
> <data follows>

Ok, these 'scan' lines that the proxy logs, they must be headers in the IE
request, right?

> proxy putput from curl connection says:
>
> accept connection ... scan: User-Agent: curl/7.9.8 (win32) libcurl 7.9.8
> (OpenSSL 0.9.6d) default
> GPC 207.18.219.214:8443
> connect to: 207.18.219.214:8443 ... OK

... and why doesn't it mention the Host: line or the Pragma: line for the
curl command? It does get the user-agent and then goes straight to the
connect...

> * About to connect() to 127.0.0.1:8000
> * Connected to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) port 8000
> * Establish HTTP proxy tunnel to 207.18.219.214:8443

This line is written just before curl issues the CONNECT request to the
proxy, which according to the proxy log above seems to do fine.

> And the connection just seems to hang. https to the server from curl
> bypassing the proxy also works, so it seems to be a specific interaction
> between curl and this proxy using https.

What if you use the --trace option, can you see if you ever get anything back
from the proxy after the CONNECT has been sent off? If so, what does it
return.