RE: Cache in curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:11:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Lorenzo Pastrana wrote:

> It could be annotated as 'TEMPORARY'? while waiting for the 'share
> system'... in case the new API enforce its usage? Or will current users be
> able to link against curl width their current code?

The new API (for the share stuff) will be new stuff added with the old things
still working as before. Thus, old programs will continue to work and link
against the library even when these new things get added.

Only programs that want to take advantage of the new features will not be
able to link against older versions of the library.

> If you are talking about a 'brand new curl' maybe current users could still
> need a cookie flush to get per-file cookie support on actual multi
> interface (/w persistant connections)... may be I'm missing something.

"current users" don't have that feature since it isn't implemented. If the
current users want that, we must add it. One way to add it, is with your
suggested approach "curl_easy_dumpcookies()". Another way is to go with the
share system approach.

> > Adding your function now would solve this problem for you. For me, it'll
> > open a can of worms.
>
> ... mmmh I'm not sure the can is *SO* rotten ;)

Ok, sorry, I might've used a little too strong words there. It's not that
bad.

> > I don't think I understand your question. To avoid static linking, can't
> > you use dynamic linking (shared/DLL/runtime or whatever name you pick)?
>
> yep! but not having the function in the standard curl distro would force me
> to mantain a 'branch'.. :(

Right, if that's the way you wanna go. My suggested way is not to do that. My
suggestion is that we start working a bit harder to get the share-system
implemented so that we can start sharing cookies and then we can build
features such as this upon that.

> > I don't see this happen for 7.10.
>
> I'm not in sutch a hurry... things work OK for me at the moment... I can
> wait to get a little more infos on the new API before I post the stuff
> anyway..

Once I've managed to get 7.10 out the door, I'm gonna put some effort on
getting the share stuff moving and then we should start looking at getting
your missing feature into that.