Re: Problems compiling the cURL binary under Linux.. (newbe)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:54:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Stefan Löfgren wrote:

> I'm trying to compile curl under linux, but I'm not getting the binary
> "curl", just a wrapper-script... how can I get the binary?

Runt 'make install'. Until you do that, the wrapper script is there to make
sure you can run it as if it was a true program, using the newly built
library.

Another approach is to run configure --disable-shared, as then curl will be
built staticly and the wrapper script is not needed.

> It works just fine under W2K...

Right, but if you want curl to use the recently built DLLs, you need to copy
them into the same directory as the curl executable, or else the new
executable will use the old installed DLLs.

Or you build curl staticly.

> Does curl really need GLIBC_2.2?

No.

> Instead of compiling the binary, I have downloaded it instead.

What kind of package?

> But it needs GLIBC_2.2 all the time...

That is not a really truthful dependency.

> So, can I get curl without the need of GLIBC_2.2?

I build curl regularly using an older glibc just fine.