Re: curl bad verify SSL certificates (fwd)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 06:59:06 +0200 (MET DST)

forwarded to the libcurl mailing list

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 03:06:30PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
> Full details are here:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=595426&group_id=976&atid=100976
>
> No, I still cannot see what the problem is or what the solution is supposed
> to do.
>
> What kind of warning are you refering to that curl should display? When we're
> running SSL without verifying the remote's certificate, how can we warn and
> for what?
The callback should not simply return 'ok', in fact it should return
the opposite unless it properly validates the certificate chain or is
explicitly overridden (or, more properly, has a correct certificate
installed in the openssl certs directory).
> Yes, we could theoretcly add the "error 20" you mention that the 'openssl'
> tool displays, but what good would that do? That error would also get
> displayed on *numerous* non-spoofed uses of SSL... (as I tried this).
Then you don't have openssl installed properly (with the certs and
hashes, usually in /usr/local/ssl/certs), or don't have the
certificate directory set correctly so it can't find them.
> So, my question remains. What is the problem and what is the solution?
Problem: You really have no idea if the site you are talking to is
really who they claim to be.  You could be connecting to a credit-card
number or password stealing site instead of the actual site and would
have no indication of any problem.
Solution: Rewrite the certificate verify callback to actually check
the certificate chain properly.  Don't connect without an override.
I am working on a correct patch for this and various other openssl
implementations, but I am limited since I don't have all the testing
infrastructure available to me, and the existing exploit demonstration
sites close down at times.