Re: "common symbols" in libcurl.a?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:54:06 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Dan Wood wrote:

> I've recently grabbed the 7.9.8 build of Curl, and either in that, or
> something else in my build environment (which is Mac OS X), I'm getting
> some problems linking libcurl.a into my code. I'm getting the following
> error message:
>
> ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format
>
> I got some info from an expert on linking on Mac OS X, and he said: "This
> has to do with the ... restriction only allowing one definition of each
> symbol in shared library modules."

Hm, the symbol 'curl_jmpenv' only has one definition in libcurl.

> I'm really not very familiar with intracacies of linkers and makefiles and
> such. Maybe Daniel or somebody here has some idea what can be done to
> simplify things. I really miss the previous versions, where I'd just link
> the library in without any trouble at all.

I have two work-arounds coming up:

Short-term: I'm gonna move the sigjmp_buf stuff to only get used within a
single source file, and then I can make it a static, which will be nicer to
all parties.

Long-term: I'm gonna put on effort on providing a reliable non-blocking name
resolver which will then remove the need for that longjmp() stuff entirely.
(More about that will follow in a later mail.)

--
  Cheers,
  Daniel Stenberg