Improving libcurl performance

From: yarram sunil <yvsunil_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 07:16:50 -0000

Hi,
    I am using curl-7.9.7 on windows. I was testing the throughput
of curl by repeatedly fetching a particular page from local LAN.
I have used Rational Quantify tool and found out that significant
part of time is spent in "SocketIsDead" function defined in file
"url.c". In this function "select" is used with a timeout value
of 1 micro second. When i changed the timeout value to 0 seconds
throughput increased rapidly. By changing the timeout value from 1
microsecond to 0 seconds am i doing anything wrong? are there any
reason for it to be 1 microsecond. The function "SocketIsDead" is
used only to check whether a socket is dead or alive and i am able
to do this with 0 second timeout.
   Any comments?

Cheers,
Sunil.
Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs

August 25-28 in Las Vegas - http://devcon.sprintpcs.com/adp/index.cfm?source=osdntextlink