Re: curl version + multi threading

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:21:10 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Girish Dharmapurikar wrote:

> I find following Note at http://curl.haxx.se/docs/install.html . This says
> "no thread support" in a case of linux. that shakes me. why should there be
> any OS not supporting threaing? Should it be the same with Solaris 5.7 ?

*please* read that section once more.

It concerns my troubles to configure OpenLDAP for my Linux 2.0.36. That was
like two or three years ago. I have absolutely no idea if the note still
applies or not. It's more an issue you should take to the OpenLDAP team, if
it still applies and you're about to use it in a threaded environment.

libcurl itself, is indeed thread-safe and robust to use in pretty much any
amount of threads you think fit, as long as your operating system does good
threads.

Good thread support comes with at least Linux, Solaris, Windows and others.

Known to have some previous thread issues are the *BSD family (I don't know
how the situation is there now) and I believe cygwin too (due to the lack of
good name resolve calls, but I'm not sure of this so you need to check
yourself).