installing and using libcurl on windows

From: Nick C. <xfantasy_69_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:30:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi to all out there. I have a problem that I wasn't
able to solve on myself. I also asked Daniel about
this, but he is not working/programming that much
under windows mode.

My problem is that I cannot find a way to install and
use the perl interface lib curl on a windows machine.
Unfortunately, installing linux on a computer that I
could use is out of the questions right and it will be
for a while, due to some hardware and personal
problems. As Daniel suggested, I subscribed to the
libcurl mailing list. I was afraid to do that, because
of the hight traffic of this email list... I only have
web email right now, free web mail and I am subscribed
to this list under the digest mode, so, it may be
useful, if someone of you could help me, to write not
only to the list, but also to xfantasy_69_at_yahoo.com
(my wild side email address..hehe.. :-) ), because I
can find/read the response quicker.

Ok. I have installed Active State perl for windows and
it seems that I am able to run simple perl scripts.
Active Perl comes with libwww installed, but I found
libcurl easier to work with... I tried 6 months to
find a way to login into a site and fill in forms with
libwww. With ethereal (or a small perl sniffer) and
libcurl (and Daniel's help) I've had much more
success. I guess I will "bother" you with questions
about specific problems in the future too, but to get
there, I need some input from those of you who are
using libcurl under the windows OS, maybe even using
the Active State Perl.

I couldn't get libcurl installed, because (obviously)
I couldn't do "make" and "make install" (the usual
linux installation). Do you know how I can translate
it for the windows os ? I was told by a guy to use the
PPM (Perl package manager) that comes with active
perl, but the problem was that I could not find any
PPM installation file for libcurl. Have you ? How can
I get the perl interface installed ?

What about the C interface for windows ? Where do I
download it and how do I install it ? I tried to just
download the C source file and put them into the
Visual Studio "include" directory, but it seems I also
need a DLL file. How do I build it ? I think I have
found curl version for windows (and older one) with a
DLL available, but I didn't know where to put it so
that i can start using libcurl from Visual C. I will
try to use the source file from Borland C and see if
it works... Can you tell me more on how can I get
libcurl c interface and use it from c programs ?

Thank you in advance !

Nick.