Re: Download performance

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:08:06 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jacky Lam wrote:

> > I don't have any answers to why this happens. Before we continue on this,
> > can you please post more detailed and specific, both test results and
> > details on how your tests have been performed?
>
> The program I am developing is a web browser. I just mark the
> performance by downloading a page serveral times and taking the average.
> With other parts of browser remains the same, downloading a local(HK) page
> requires 14s for libcurl version, but 30s for libwww version. However, for
> www.cnn.com, the result is just reversed. Libwww seems downloading much
> faster.

You mean the entire CNN front page, including all the images etc? Can that be
because of A) your lack of persistency due to the cleanup/init all the time
and perhaps B) libcurl does not offer pipelining.

I would say that A is a likely reason, while B wouldn't make such a huge
difference.

> I am still investigating it. What information do I need to supply in
> addition?

I don't know! :-)

I know very little about libwww, so I really can't tell much about internal
or architectural differences.