multi interface and asynchronous DNS

From: Noel Byron <NoelByron_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:16:37 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

First, I'm a little bit confused about the differnent lists. I thought the
curl-users_at_lists.sourceforge.net is the new one:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2002-03/0158.html

But Daniel keeps posting to curl-library_at_lists.sourceforge.net. Isn't
this the old one?

:o?

> > BTW if somebody knows how to do asynchronous DNS for all the other
> > plattforms, I could contribute the windows stuff? :o)
>
> If you define a good generic way, then there's no harm with starting to
> add
> asynch name lookups on windows only.

Platform independence is a big issue for me, too. But I have to admit, that
I have no idea how to asynchronous DNS resolution with POSIX. Maybe
the POSIX real time extensions could help.

Anyway, if we do async DNS in Windows we can't wait in select. What do you
think about encapsulating the select function for the user?

  while(CURLM_CALL_MULTI_PERFORM ==
        curl_multi_perform(multi_handle, &still_running));

  while(still_running) {
    // some user code
    int ret= curl_mulit_select(multi_handle, 1 /* timeout seconds */, 0 /*
msecs */);
    curl_multi_perform(multi_handle, &still_running);
  }

That would mean we could wait for everything in this select functions.
Windows handles for async DNS, threads (if we would simulate async DNS
on some platforms), locks and so on.

I don't know if that is very important at the moment...

Kind regards,
Noel

http://www.gmx.net