Re: "ROCK Package for libcurl" (fwd)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:01:55 +0100 (MET)

As reported by Clifford Wolf.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:04:00 +0100 (CET)
From: Clifford Wolf <clifford_at_clifford.at>
To: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Subject: Re: "ROCK Package for libcurl"
On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > > EPSV
> > < 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||39858|).
> > curl: (7) Failed to connect to IP number 2
> > * Closing connection #0
> >
> > I've now added the --disable-epsv option as default option to the download
> > script. Maybe falling back to 'normal' passive mode would be better in the
> > case that epsv doesn't work? I've seen that problem not only on this
> > server.
>
> I can't see how that can be the correct behavior. The server replies to EPSV
> and it sets up a listening port for us to connect to, then so we shall. If
> that doesn't work, then a) curl does wrong or b) the server does wrong. I
> don't think trying PASV in this situation is a very good thing.
>
> This issue should be taken to and discussed on a curl mailing list, no matter
> what.
looks like there also is a problem in glibc. I only have coredumps with
glibc-2.2.4. After rebuilding curl with glibc-2.2.5 it doesn't dump core
anymore and I get the above error message.
debugging with gdb showed that connect() returns error 115 (EINPROGRESS,
Operation now in progress). So it is a curl bug - but might not be
reproduceable on your side because you are running another kernel and/or
another glibc.
The easiest solution would be to set the socket from non-blocking to
blocking (see the connect() manpage).
btw - thanks for your patch, ROCK Linux Changelog:
 *) 2002-03-08 (1.5.12 - 1.7.0)
  - Improved/Fixed dependency detection
  - Updated curl-7.9.5 and fixed progress-bar (thanks to Daniel Stenberg)
yours,
 - clifford
--
| Clifford Wolf ............ www.clifford.at . . . IRC: http://opirc.nu/
| ROCK Linux Workgroup ..... www.rocklinux.org . . Tel: +43-699-10063494
| NTx Consulting Group ..... www.ntx.at  . . . . . Fax: +43-2235-42788-4
+------=[ Usenet Compliant Signature (RFC 2646) ]=---> www.rocklinux.net
Linux is a wigwam: No Windows, No Gates, Apache inside.
Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)