Re: curl hangs during unreliable transfer

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 06:40:21 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Evan Chu wrote:

> I am using curl 7.9.4 over a PPP connection over an analog modem. If I
> start a transfer and the modem disconnects abnormally, curl will not
> return.

This sounds pretty much like the case described in this feature request as
well:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=502002&group_id=976&atid=350976

> Here is the scenario:
> * Use kppp to dial into an ISP; make sure ppp0 is up.
> * Curl http://www.netscape.com.
> * While the resource is downloading, turn off the modem to simulate an
> abnormal disconnect.
> * Curl will hang even though ppp0 is gone.
>
> Is this a bug or working as expected?

Both. :-)

I would like to see it discover this, if at all possible. -y and -Y can
normally be used to bail out of these situations.

More details on the feature request page.

Patches that improve things are welcome!