Re: Feature-Request for libcurl, was: Making a directory

From: Guido Neitzer <guido.neitzer_at_pharmaline.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:03:02 +0100

Hi.
Am Mittwoch den, 19. Dezember 2001, um 10:48, schrieb Daniel Stenberg:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Guido Neitzer wrote:
>
>> This is a feature request for libcurl.
>>
>> I use libcurl to do some ftp-stuff in my application. For example I
>> have
>> to create some directories and libcurl downloads the directory listing
>> for
>> the URL I have specify and I want to avoid this with an option like
>> this:
>
>> curl_easy_setopt (curl, CURLOPT_COMMANDS_ONLY, TRUE);
>
> Hm, I'm having a hard time to make up my mind on this.
>
> What would you say about a more generic approach? Like a way to prevent
> libcurl from issueing specific FTP commands.
>
> To prevent a download, you'd tell curl to skip PASV and RETR.

  Hmmm. I don't know enough about libcurl and ftp to answer this
question, but as far as I understand the ftp rfc this would be enough to
handle a "command only" behaviour.

  If we use this approach, I would have to add

curl_easy_setopt (curl, SKIP_PASV, TRUE);
curl_easy_setopt (curl, SKIP_RETR, TRUE);

  and do all the other stuff as I do it now, right? That's absolutely
okay for me, but I can't see a big difference between this and my former
suggestion. In both ways you have the option to do:

1. Only transmit commands.

2. Work through a pre download/upload command list, do the
download/upload and do some commands after that.

> Or would that be making things more flexible than they need to be?

  Please explain the difference of the two approaches. I can't see a real
difference - but, I said that, I'm not experienced with ftp or curl or
libcurl.

cug