Re: canceling a load in progress

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:27:11 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, tbharath wrote:

> one way would be to close the socket in use from another thread But if
> not properly implemented can lead to crashes too since closing the socket
> when a select call is in progress can lead to this

Another way that would work only on *nix systems, would be to open a pipe
solely for this purpose. The select() would then wait for input on the pipe
as well as on the socket(s). The cancel() call would only write a single byte
to the pipe to make the transfer abort at once.

I'd need some win32 experise to come up with a similar system for windows
(and other operating systems that lack pipe() too).