Re: cURL support for LDAP over SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:30:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Scott Armstrong wrote:

[This reply is CC'ed to the libcurl mailing list]

> I was curious about whether you might be able to help me out with support
> for LDAP over SSL. I started experimenting with your package hoping that
> it would support it. While it's done everything I could ever hope for
> with standard LDAP, the SSL support is obviously missing.

It does indeed. LDAP in general is not the most supported part of the curl
package, and I've not been aware of people using LDAP with SSL.

> I searched through your mailing list archives trying to find references,
> but didn't come up with anything. I've had all sorts of fun trying to
> figure out all the esoteric error messages coming back from OpenLDAP's
> ldapsearch when trying to query a MS Exchange server using basic
> authentication over SSL. This may, in part, be due to the problems
> identifying what M$ is doing (@#$%)... but I haven't been very successful
> determining whether it's TLS, SASL or some combination thereof.

Adding SSL support to a general socket connection is a fairly simple
operation (as most functions already are written and present, proved to be
working on all major platforms), and I believe you could wrap it up in a
manner very similar to how HTTP and FTP already support it. At least if there
aren't any special quirks around it for LDAP's purpose.

> I'm going to put on my virtual latex gloves and dive into ldap.c to try
> and figure it out myself, but I'm a system administrator and my
> programming skills are quite rusty. I'd appreciate any comments,
> observations, words of hope, etc. that you may be able to supply.

Feel confident that you have our moral support on your quest, and I think I
can promise you pretty quick responses from people with insights on this
mailing list. Just ask questions, post code or whatever you feel is
necessary!