problems with --connect-timeout and --max-time options

From: <josh.m.daynard_at_accenture.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:55:34 -0400

Hi,

I'm using cURL 7.8.1 and I'm not having much luck getting the connect
timeout and maxtime options working. Occasionally, the server that I'm
trying to connect to goes down completely and doesn't respond at all to
requests. In this case, I would like cURL to exit gracefully after 30
seconds max and then I can handle the fact that I received no data back.
However, neither of these options seem to work:

-m 30 and/or --connect-timeout 30

When using either or both of these options when the server is down, curl
still hangs for like 6 minutes to infinity ... Am I using these options
incorrectly? How can I always ensure that my curl call returns no matter
what after 30 seconds max?

Thanks!
Josh D.

privileged or confidential information. If you have received it in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.