Re: libcurl hanging

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:26:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Skeets Norquist wrote:

[There's usually no need to post a bug both in the bug tracker and the
mailing list. But, I'll respond to this in the mailing list now.]

> I have a problem with libcurl hanging when I try to get an FTP listing
> from a particular server. It worked fine for quite a while with no
> problem and then suddenly didn't work anymore. That makes me suspect it
> is something with the server I am trying to contact but take a look at
> the strange behavior below:

Well, can you list the directory using a standard ftp client? What if you
simply telnet to the box and enter the commands the same way curl does it?

> > USER fm006911
>
> hangs... never responds

[snip]

> Here's a stack trace when I stop the program in gdb
> (url hidden for security):
> #0 GetLastResponse (sockfd=6, buf=0x805ae0c "",
> conn=0x8067b00) at ftp.c:254
> #1 0x40045442 in ftp_connect (conn=0x8067b00) at
> ftp.c:453

It makes perfect sense that if the server doesn't send any response back
after the USER command, libcurl will hang until it does (it actually times
out by default after 3600 seconds).

*BUT* this dump indicates a major library symbol/version mixup. The function
is not named 'GetLastResponse' in libcurl 7.9. It is named
Curl_GetFTPResponse...

Backtracking waaaay back shows that I made that rename in January just after
7.5.2 was released, and thus since 7.6 it hasn't been named so.

I suggest you clean the ancient left-overs and make sure you install and use
the 7.9 library properly!