Re: Little problem on the libcurl.dll generation

From: Andrew Francis <locust_at_familyhealth.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:05:19 +0800

Steve Lhomme wrote:
> I don't want to spend days including something before I have the basic
thing
> working (through simple proxy and not). Also I really wonder if it's
worth
> using libCurl + SpiderMonkey(js from Mozilla)+wininet to get the right
> behaviour for the right URL on Windows, when wininet would be enough
:(

Personally, I think it would be worth it for the cross-platform
ability - keep in mind that the Mozilla source should be pretty portable
as well, so the only Win32-specific stuff would be discovering the proxy
settings.

Of course, if you're not going to port across, it may not be worth the
trouble :)

> I wanted to make a cross-platform C++ class, but I think it's not time
yet
> to have somethig like this, because every browser of every platform
have a
> different way of storing the proxy settings. And for the moment I'm
only
> doing open source on Windows ;)

I think a cross-platform thing along the lines of, say,
curl_use_browser_proxy(curlHandle) that discovered proxy settings would
be rather sweet. Although, it would have the potential to balloon out
into quite a lot of code I guess, and wouldn't be all that precise (if,
say, the Unix version looked at mozilla, netscape and konqueror
settings, a w3m user might feel a bit left out - although they could
always submit a patch :)

It would make it rather easy for anyone to add the ability to discover
proxies, to their program.

--
Andrew Francis
locust_at_familyhealth.com.au