RE: new function

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:01:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Lucas Adamski wrote:

> I've noticed a few emails recently regarding adding additional functions
> to minimize setup time by re-using or duplicating existing session
> handles, etc.
>
> My 2c is the amount of time it takes to set those options pales in
> comparison to how long it actually initiate a session and transfer data
> over the net (even a lan). I've played with a multithreaded CURL program
> that beat apache into the ground with 100 simultaneous threads that
> handled thousands of url's per second on an old PII 233.
>
> To put it another way, I'm not sure that adding this functionality would
> result in even a 1% improvement in performance. The vast majority of the
> time is spent in opening up a new socket and doing network I/O, which you
> can't really avoid as I think each thread needs its own socket.

Hi

Thanks for your input.

I agree with you that there would hardly be any noticable speed difference. I
would think that the main idea behind such a function would be convenience
only.

I don't mind (discussing about) adding functions to the library that makes it
more comfortable to use, but they don't get very high priority on my action
list.