Re: docs in other formats?

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:43:00 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Today the man pages are the source files from which I generate the other
> kinds. I would require a nice conversion program for me to change source
> format.
>
> I can't see that doxygen offers this. I don't judge or value it as a general
> system here, only how good it would fit me and curl right now.

I think that doxygen is used to extract documentation that is embedded in
the source code. What you are looking for is a common format, such as
texinfo or docbook, that can be converted into (almost) any another format.

Docbook is perhaps the most interesting alternative, as it is based on
XML. I have not had the opportunity to play with the conversion to man
pages, but the conversion to HTML works just fine.

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/
  http://docbook2x.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/docbook/chapter/book/docbook.html

I don't know if there is any convert that will take your current nroff
document and convert it into such a common format.

> BTW, would man pages and HTML pages be enough? Or will there inevitably make
> people ask for plain-text versions too?

Or PDF for pretty-printing?