Re: weird timings from curl_easy_getinfo

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:38:58 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Yes, but the timeout on name lookups are (still) signal-based and I really
> don't know if/how that works in multi-threaded cases.

"A SIGALRM will be delivered to the process (not the thread that requested
 it), and there's no general, reliable method of ensuring that it then gets
 delivered to the proper thread. (Masking out the signal on all but one
 thread would work, but wouldn't be general.)"

p. 177 in

  Bill Lewis & Daniel Berg
  "PThread Primer. A Guide to Multithreaded Programming"
  SunSoft Press, 1996
  (it is available on-line somewhere, but I just can find the URL now)

On pp. 181-183 it goes on to describe "Per-Thread Alarms", however that
requires that you have control over all threads (which libcurl hasn't).