Re: Help required...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:31:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Naveen Noel wrote:

(Please direct libcurl questions to the libcurl mailing list, nowhere else.
This reply is cc'ed there.)

> I have compiled libcurl on Windows using Borland c++ 5.5 from c:\curl\lib
> by running Makefile.b32(make -f Makefile.b32). It was able to compile but
> produced me with some "warnings" due to which libcurl.lib was not
> properly built , the dump where the warning occured are given below...

Those compiler warnings are not the reason you experience problems. If you
think those warnings are serious, please post a patch to the mailing list and
we'll have them fixed in the next release!

> Error: Unresolved external '_Curl_strtok_r' referenced from
> D:\CURL\LIB\LIBCURL.LIB|cookie

This is because the lib/Makefile.b32 file isn't up to date. Add 'strtok.c' to
the SOURCES list in there, or get the updated one from CVS. Then recompile.

> I want to run the examples in c:\curl-7.8\docs\examples\ftpget.c or any
> other. Can anyone tell me as to what is the procedure to run it.
>
> 1) Should I compile c:\curl-7.8\lib\ ? to generate libcurl.lib

Yes.

> If Yes, after this, what to do to run c:\curl-7.8\docs\examples\ftpget.c
> on Windows on BCC5.5 or VC6.0

You should probably:

 1. Compile win32socket.c
 2. Edit ftpget.c to invoke win32_init() before any libcurl function is used.
 3. Compile ftpget.c
 4. Link win32socket.o, ftpget.o and libcurl.lib into one final executable
 5. Run the executable.

> a) I tried compiling c:\curl-7.8\lib\ as a VC6.0 project. It generated a
> curl.dll but NOT libcurl.lib!!!! Is it necessary and if Yes, then What
> should I do.?

I think it is just a name issue. It is the same thing.

> b) In the examples it is given that if we want to run
> Curl on windows we need to do 2 things
> -Use the make file (Makefile.example) and compile the examples.

The Makefile.example is a generic makefile for all platforms. You need to
tweak it to fit your own.

> The Qs are
> (i) Is it after building libcurl.lib ?

libcurl.lib should always be built, yes.

> (ii) The Makefile.example is in Unix format, So, is there a
> windows(BCC5.5 or VC6.0) Makefile.example?

The Makefile.example is a generic makefile using standard make syntax. That
could be called unix format if you want to.

That's just an example makefile, it isn't made to fit all particular cases.

> -Use the win32sockets.c file to add the changes to the examples.
> The Qs is

> (i) How to do it? Is there any sample Windows Script for any one
> example(ftpget.c)

No, but I'd appriciate one. I noticed just now that the functions in
win32sockets.c are made static, which seems like a silly thing to do...

> Expecting a speedy reply from all of you there....

*Expecting* speedy replies from a bunch of volounteers helping you for free
is rude and bad manners, especially since you didn't post your questions in
the proper forum.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/