mmap & file uploads

From: Sterling Hughes <sterling_at_designmultimedia.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 02:41:49 -0400

Hey,
        I was just going through the source and noticed that when reading data
with file uploads it uses by default the stdio layer which has quite a
nice performance decrement. With larger files this can be
signifigant... Best case, I think there should be an option, something
like CURLOPT_READOPTIMIZE, which will grab the file through mmap() if
available, or if not use the unbuffered i/o layer (open(), read(), etc).
  This might be a bit complex because of the semantics of the
CURLOPT_READFUNCTION, and the reading of data in general, however, if
there's some way we can figure it out, I'd think it be beneficial in
general (especially since file uploads can be quite large.)

Thoughts?

-Sterling

--
Sterling Hughes