Re: Thoughts on Implementing Persistant Connection Support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:30:16 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Bjorn Reese wrote:

A week has passed. I've written code and some things start to actually work
with persistant connections. There are still things left to do before a first
meant-to-work beta can be released.

Anyway, back to the thinking board:

> > 2. An option to determine the strategy used to close persistant connections.
> > Strategies can be to close

> o user-defined
>
> By letting the application determine (through a callback or by assigning
> priorities to connections) which connection to close, more "intelligent"
> strategies, based on statistics or similar, could be built.

There's a huge different between those two suggestions. The assigned priority
will assume the programmer/user knows what connections that are important to
keep persistant before-hand, while the callback approach lets the
programmer/user decide no earlier than exactly when there's a need to re-use
a connection.

The callback approach doesn't exclude the first approach, it only forces the
assignment to be kept outside of libcurl.

I think it would be useful if we could come up with actual use-cases for
these things, but I fear that will be tricky and that we'll have to pick one
(or both) pretty much on gut-feeling. Nothing different from normal that is!
;-)

Anyone else with opinions or ideas on this?