Re: help, PUT/File upload, POST or PUT?

From: Bob Schader <rschader_at_product-des.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:16:43 -0500

PUT is better in that the zipped files are sent in their original
form, much like they would be using FTP. POSTing always converts
the data to some mimetype of "multipart/urlencoded" or something
like that, which also in effect encodes the file from binary
to an ascii encoding like uuencode or base64, thus making the
actual transferred data larger, and I consider this to also be
more taxing on the server, especially with larger files. I also
am not sure if POSTing can be resumed like PUT's can be now.

But if you are only dealing with small files, POSTing should be
OK, although I'm not sure why you would want to use curl for that,
unless you are trying to automate something, because you can
typically do posting directly from a web form.

Bob Schader