Re: Could use Clarification on FAQ (Win32 DLL tips)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:28:26 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Bob Schader wrote:

> 5.5 Does CURLOPT_FILE work on win32 ?

[snip]

> As per my last message, I realized the same was true for reading files
> and CURLOPT_READFUNCTION.

I've updated the FAQ and I added two notes in the man page for
curl_easy_setopt(). Thanks a lot for your research and patience.

> Since as part of my research into accessing curl from Java using JNI and
> swig, I plan to add wrapper functions of my own into the curl.dll file. I
> planned on these functions doing their own fread internal to the DLL. Is
> this possible?

I'm not following you here.

> Is it just that a FILE * can't be passed to a DLL, but a DLL could create
> and use it's own FILE *'s?

Exactly. That's why there's no problem until you pass the .DLL one of "your"
FILE *'s.

> If no one else is using Win32, looks like I have alot of experimenting to
> do!

I know there are others using libcurl on win32, but perhaps they've used it
in a different/easier context. Or simple solved these probblems without
letting us know.