Problem compiling 7.6 with Cygwin 1.15

From: Bob Schader <rschader_at_product-des.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:18:30 -0500

I was successfully able to compile 7.6_pre4 on cygwin 1.15 on my
work computer yesterday, but when I try to compile it at home
with the same version of cygwin, it apears to configure ok, but
when I type make, it goes into a loop like so:

$ make
cd . \
  && CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
creating Makefile
cd . \
  && CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
creating Makefile
cd . \
  && CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status

I have to Ctrl-C out of it and then the Makefiles are gone! Any ideas
what causes this?

Bob Schader