Re: timeout

From: Johan Nilsson <johan_at_nnl.se>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:20:45 +0100

Hello again!

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Johan Nilsson wrote:
>
> > I use libcurl and I think I've completely missunderstood the timeout
> > setting...
> >
> > I thought it had to do with a request sent to a server, i.e. curl should
> > wait a maximum of timeout seconds for a server response. But it seems
> > that this has to deal with the complete transfer, i.e. a timeout of 30
> > seconds would automatically abort my ftp transfer after 30 seconds (Why
> > would anyone want this feature?).
>
> Well, when it comes to TCP it is often very tricky to know when the other end
> dies or just goes not-sending-any-more. If you have some kind of automatic
> job, it can be handy to abort it if it takes too long.
>
> Feel free to add a timeout that does what you thought it did. I'm sure more
> than you would like such a one. I'd appriciate a patch!

Maybe I'll see what I can do in the future. Right now I don't have a lot of time
:-)

> > * How long will (lib)curl wait for a server response?
>
> Without the timeout specificly set, it doesn't use any timers at all apart
> from those the OS itself will use on system/network calls.

What error code is signalled by libcurl if those OS timeouts occur?
Is it CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT, CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST
or? Are the same codes sent even though some of the file has already been
transfered, i.e. the transfer lost its "connection" to the server.

Thanks!

//Johan