Re: header bytes not being reset on each perform

From: Rick Jones <raj_at_cup.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:38:33 -0800

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Rick Jones wrote:
>
> > the attached test program seems to imply that the header bytes from
> > curl_easy_getinfo() are not being reset on each request:
>
> Are you absolutely sure the headers weren't in fact being larger for each
> time the request was re-sent?

no, but will check.

> What if you show the headers, would that bring any clues?

I'll look. Just a moment...

well, i commented-out the call to set the write function, so the headers
and bodies were written to the files:

$ ./curl_test2
total time 0.013478, bytes 0 connect 0.007783
header bytes 190 download size 1048576.000000 request_bytes 129
total time 0.013478, bytes 0 connect 0.013324
header bytes 380 download size 1048576.000000 request_bytes 129
total time 0.013478, bytes 0 connect 0.01867
header bytes 570 download size 1048576.000000 request_bytes 129
$ wc *.out
98304 98304 3145728 body.out
24 75 570 head.out

if I look at head.out i see just three headers, which is consistent with
only receiving a total of three. had the headers been added to each time
i would have expected to see six headers (one from first, two from
second, three from third).

> It is not a known problem but I can't find where this flaw would be!

does libcurl close the connection after every request? is resetting the
header bytes only done on a connection close? actually, for the
application I plan on using libcurl - an "HTTP_DOWNLOAD" test in
netperf3, is there a way to control that on a request by request basis?

to make system call traces easier, i changed the retrieved URL to just
say "hello world" looking then at the sytem call trace, I see read()
(why not recv?) returning the same number of bytes for each request.

rick jones

> --
> Daniel Stenberg -- curl project maintainer -- http://curl.haxx.se/

ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...
my email address is raj in the cup.hp.com domain...