Re: Question regarding cURL and libcurl features

From: Bob Schader <bobs_at_product-des.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:31:54 -0500

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> mod-dav, is used for regular HTTP requests? I thought that was for webdav
> operations and curl doesn't do any webdav stuff (yet).

Dan,

Part of the functionality of mod-dav as a webdav server is to handle
PUT requests transparently. I have a directory setup on our server
that uses mod-dav to enable "putting" files there, and as far as I can
tell, it works fine with most put clients, although none seem to support
resuming. Ones I have tried are cURL (7.4.2?), Winie, web folders,
web drive, dav-explorer, etc.

Here are some out takes from responses I received from the mod-dav list
regarding this:

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:17:09AM -0500, Bob Schader wrote:
> Does DAV have support for resuming broken PUT's? If not, how can it be
> implemented? I really need this ability. Have been told that basically
> RFC 2616 allows support for this, or at least, doesn't dis-allow it.

Response:
mod_dav does support ranged PUT requests... what client are you using?
Ranged PUT can be used resuming uploads if the client is clever enough.

> files. I have used Winie, Web Folders, DavExplorer and curl. Actually,
> I seem to remember curl having a range option, but I don't know if
> it works for PUT's, and I would have to get the current size beforehand
> in order to tell curl what range to send.

Response:
The client would probably do a HEAD request to find out the current
length, maybe curl can do that.

Hope that helps.
Bob

Bob Schader