curl-and-python

Re: Git repository

From: Oleg Pudeyev <oleg+pycurl_at_bsdpower.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:19:43 -0500

I took a look at existing git repositories for pycurl:

1. current official repository (https://github.com/pycURL/pycURL)

- no tags
- no user mapping

2. Lispython/"pycurl2" (https://github.com/Lispython/pycurl)

- no tags
- user mapping for 3 out of 4 committers

3. blackstonetech (https://github.com/blackstonetech/pycurl)

- no tags
- no user mapping

They all lack tags. This was probably an oversight as tags need
to be pushed separately.

Then I performed my own import.

First I created a local copy of sourceforge's cvs repository via rsync
as explained here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/CVS

rsync -av rsync://pycurl.cvs.sourceforge.net/cvsroot/pycurl/\* .

Then, following instructions in
http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Git/Migrating_a_CVS_repository_to_GIT
and using what they refer to as "CVS snapshot tarball", except in
my case the snapshot was rsynced:

git cvsimport -v -a -i -k -d `pwd`/backup -C pycurl-cvs.git -A
authors.txt pycurl

There are some differences between the tree that I obtained and
blackstonetech's one, which is the most promising (commit sha1s
are different). The first difference I see is in my tree $Id$ is
not expanded, whereas in blackstonetech's it is. This is what -k
does. Maybe it did not exist when previous imports were performed.

The start tag/vendor branch has no data. I don't know why it is there
but I see no reason to keep it.

This is the author mapping I used:

zanee=Christopher Warner <cwarner_at_kernelcode.com>
kjetilja=Kjetil Jacobsen <kjetilja_at_gmail.com>
mfx=Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer <markus_at_oberhumer.com>
esr=Eric S. Raymond <esr_at_thyrsus.com>

Top 3 I took from Lispython's repository, ESR's email address came from
his github page at https://github.com/eric-s-raymond.

I tried -m option to git-cvsimport and could not see any difference.

Pushing with tags:

git push origin --all
git push origin --tags

Result: https://github.com/p/pycurl

Other repositories that can be useful:

https://github.com/christophwarner/PyCurl - has some changes that
may be worthwhile but no history, does not affect cvs import.

Oleg