curl-and-python

Re: curl-and-python Digest, Vol 60, Issue 2

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:23:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, John Skopis wrote:

> The curl binary works just fine. Additionally, running strings on libcurl
> shows the CAINFO path is in the library (somewhere).

Yes, as it sets the default CAINFO path within the library to be a path that
was decided when libcurl was built.

> Are you saying that the following should "just work"? I mean, is it expected
> that curl_easy works with SSL if CAINFO is not set?

If you don't set CAINFO, it is expected that libcurl will use the default
path.

> Is there a standard way of setting up CAINFO/CAPATH?

libcurl has a default that it uses. If you want to use a specific place
without relying on the internals you set the option(s) to tell libcurl about
it. What else could there be?

I don't think pycurl itself should set any of those options. It should let
libcurl use its defaults, and of course users of pycurl should be allowed to
set the options. Alternatively, you have a configure script for pycurl that
tries to find the correct CA cert bundle at build time, and then you set that
path to libcurl.

Oh btw, 'curl-config --ca' outputs the default path that libcurl is built to
use.