pycurl and thomson grass valley k2 FTP servers

From: Shailesh Kumar <shaileshk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:18:17 +0530

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using CURL or PYCURL with Thomson
Grass Valley K2 servers? The K2 server (used in broadcast industry)
implements FTP protocol in peculiar ways. The server is used to store
only video assets. Depending upon the login with which we connect to
the server, the server would wrap the video asset in appropriate
container format (like MXF, AVI, QuickTime) and return them.The
directory listings (generated by LIST) command are quite different
from typical directory listings. Rather than returning the size of a
file, it returns the number of video frames in the file. The typical
approach of downloading files from FTP server using pycurl doesn't
work. We constantly receive 530 access denied error. When we tried
with Python's standard FTPLIB, the download worked but it also behaves
erratically. Sometimes the download happens, sometimes it doesn't.
Also, ftplib based download is too slow for production use.

I guess, this is a long shot but any help would be highly appreciated.

With regards,
- Shailesh