curl-and-php

Re: Excessive resource usage

From: Colleen R. Dick <platypus_at_proaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:48:18 -0800

Szentpétery István wrote:

Hi Szentpétery,

This is a resource issue not really curl issue but...
You are talking about time, they are talking about memory usage. You claim
the script use 4.5 MB peak but maybe your provider is averaging memory
use over time or something.
a cron job that runs for 5 minutes every 10 minutes would seem to me
likely to be a hog in some way. If I
were you I would call my provider and talk to them and ask for specific
opitmize suggestion to get resource
usage down. perhaps some caching of the pages you get with curl or
perhaps streaming so you don't have whole file in memory at once.
Without knowing what your app is doing its hard for me to be more
specific than that. but whenever I have problem like that I find what
the hog component is and find some less resource intensive way to do it.

Best,

Colleen